Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Citizen of Dark Times

 
"When you hit rock bottom, dig farther down.
Grief is the seed of singing, shame the seed of song.
Keep seeing what you are not saying."

Holy wow to these lines. 
"Shame the seed of song?"
I have never thought of it in that way.
Shame and grief...the two chambers of agony
many of us seek to avoid at any cost.
Perhaps I should change that to "I" seek to avoid.

Then...
"the songbirds only weapon is a song."

I've always told myself that I don't need to 
go looking for sorrow and pain
in the martyrdom style of my ancestors.
They will always find me.

I do confess to skirting around them.
To armoring up so as not to feel
even the lesser spectrums of loss and humiliation
happening more and more frequently
in this journey toward elderhood.

Now telling myself it's a good idea
to loosen the armor just a fraction
because when you can't feel the loss
you're anesthetized to joy.
You're a songbird without a song.

So in looking for the key
 to unlock the armor.
I hope to find myself humming.

kastilwell









1 comment:

  1. Kathy, I happened on this again looking for Tanya Hedrick's message and was reminded of how powerful this poem is. Thanks for finding these!

    ReplyDelete