Friday, June 23, 2023

If There Were A Divinity


 This was a quote by a dark matter scientist.
I'll include the longer passage below.

"Utterly separate from scientific enquiry
and human longing."
I rather like this.
So far outside understanding
we could neither measure
or pursue them into being.

It seems to me humans
tend to confine their 
sense of Divinity 
into too small a space,
with too confining a definition.

I am open to a Being
beyond any human capability
to define or confine.

kastilwell

Here's the entire passage.

“My sense,’ I say to Christopher, ‘is that the search for dark matter has produced an elaborate, 
delicate edifice of presuppositions, and a network of worship sites, also known as laboratories, all dedicated to the search for an invisible universal entity which refuses to reveal itself. It seems to resemble what we call religion rather more than what we call science.’

‘I grew up as a very serious Christian,’ Christopher says. ‘Then I lost my faith almost entirely when I found physics. Now that faith has returned, but in a much-changed form. It’s true that we dark-matter researchers have less proof than other scientists in terms of what we seek to discover and what we believe we know. As to God? Well, if there were a divinity then it would be utterly separate from both scientific enquiry and human longing.’
 . . .
‘No divinity in which I would wish to believe would declare itself by means of what we would recognize as evidence.’ He gestures at the data read-out. ‘If there is a god, we should not be able to find it. If I detected proof of a deity, I would distrust that deity on the grounds that a god should be smarter than that.” 

― Robert McFarlane, Underland




No comments:

Post a Comment