Friday, April 15, 2022

Ki and Kin?


In The Enchanted Life  by Sharon Blackie
she discusses how the English language promotes
the idea of hierarchy, objectification and separation with its pronouns.

Serendipitously, thanks to a good friend reminding me
of Robin Wall Kimmerer's Braiding Sweetgrass, 
I came across her article published in Orion magazine
where she discusses the same thing.

I pulled out the pertinent sentences 
to pinpoint a possible solution.
A democratizing of species
through language, you might say.  

kastilwell

PS: Ki in Japanese means spirit.  It's pronounced kee.

Rachel's Ki has Potawatomi roots as explained 
in the Orion article linked above. 
I still want to verify how she pronounces it.  


1 comment:

  1. Love this, Kathy. I'll have to read her Orion piece. I subscribed to Orion happily for a number of years, but dropped off when it just seemed like one more magazine that I needed to read!

    ReplyDelete