Monday, August 14, 2023

Flight Paths One

"We all begin in secret"
A tantalizing thought,
and a new one for me.
Yet, isn't it true? 
It feels delicious.

I know I certainly feel
"late for the present moment" often.
So many times, I experience
a feeling of delayed response
as my mind absorbs something
now in the past and wish I'd
have "caught it" 
when it was actually happening.

I know only a little about being displaced;
but can imagine it.  I love the language 
the poet uses.
"an unfinished sketch
hovering in the half-light...
space of endlessness
and disequilibrium"

And finally, anyone attempting to learn a new language
can identify with "bruising ones mouth".
I would add bruising one's mind as well.




PS:  This is the first section of a larger poem I'm posting in smaller pieces. I'm struck by this poem being co-written by two poets, I was also drawn by the fact it's featuring emerging (a favorite word) women writers from migrant backgrounds.  It makes this piece especially poignant to me. I haven't much experience with being 

Elodie Books and Creative Writing editor at Lucy Writers Platform, and is a co-facilitator of What the Water Gave Us, an Arts Council England funded anthology project for emerging women writers from migrant backgrounds,

No comments:

Post a Comment