Wednesday, August 17, 2022

What Relationships Require


This makes for a deeply thoughtful metaphor.
Listening for "the hope they have stored
deep within their ageless marrow" applies
not only to landscapes but to people.
My first instinct was to think in terms of
soul or spirit.  However,
in purely physical terms,
our ageless marrow is actually
the dust of the earth, isn't it?
Its the part of us that transforms
 to join the world around us
as our body decomposes.
It's ironic to me that all those years
of being taught I was "nothing more" than
the dust of the earth, 
with ashes on my forehead to remind me,
was really telling me how astonishing
I am to be returning to this amazing earth.
And, I don't have to wait until I die.
The act of breathing makes my cells
part of the world around me.
So that's where the healing of relationships begins?
Below the upper layers where the conditioning
of human factors galore have made their deep marks upon us,
to that place deep inside us
where the light gets in?

kastilwell

No comments:

Post a Comment