Sunday, March 5, 2023

Attending Now



Attending Now

Instead of writing,

I’m reading poetry penned by others

far more adept than I.

Perhaps my time is better spent 

marveling at their virtuosity

Wishing for a measure of their ingenuity,

a dash of their dexterity.


Listening to the Twohee 

chinging outside the window

as the sun slips silently from night.

Her brushes aren’t loaded with vivid colors

more of a sky blue pastel with an overlay of white.

Or I missed the mural.


I’d like to think this all leads somewhere

Then I remember, somewhere is here.

No other place holds its capacity.

It is real, concrete, tangible, visible, malleable.

The gentle steam rising from the deck

as the sun connects with the dew,

the shimmering light on the branches 

of ancient cornelian cherries lined along the road,

the pileated woodpecker hammering against the eaves, 

the breathing in and the breathing out.

Reverently attending to the essence of being alive.

kastilwell

No comments:

Post a Comment