Tuesday, October 6, 2026

When I Stop Comparing

"When I stop comparing and 
allow myself to be ordinary...
I taste a piece of eternity."
May the grace of no comparing (or competition)
be bestowed upon me...for they are deeply
etched into my psyche.  I wish I could
reach in and unravel them from 
their tightly woven pattern
in the neural pathways of my brain.
I wish there was a tool or an app for this.

"...by accepting the assignment,
which is to beautify and repair
our own small corner of the world."
How's this for a reason to keep things tidy?
At least reasonably well cared for.
The biggest challenge for me is 
knowing what to repurpose in some way 
and what to discard because discarding
feels like damaging Mother Earth.


"...I am stained...with the evidence 
of my delight in these daily rituals
that can never be washed away,
the ordinary being at least one
gateway to the holy."
I love, love, love the belief that
the ordinary is a gateway to the holy.
Especially as I've been known to grumble
inwardly about some of these "daily rituals".
I've also breathed giant sighs of graitude
for others, like this one, that enhance
my life in countless, invisible ways.



Note: Crew's poem brings this quote to mind.
“Eternalism is the belief that everything that is, has been, 
and will be exists right now and forever, all at once. 
Presentism is the belief that only what exists in the present exists at all.”
― Lily King






 

No comments:

Post a Comment