Thursday, February 8, 2024

How Could Anyone See Clearly


"Empathy is an antidote to righteousness, 
although it’s very difficult to empathize across a moral divide." Haidt

I was debating whether I wanted this to be the quote for today when my laptop failed on me.

I had just finished reading a Marginalian post* (with many thanks to the friend who called it to my attention,) on wilderness and solitude, which contained some descriptions of extremely dire circumstances, which were experienced by an artist named Kent who is accompanied by his young son for an extended period of time in the middle of winter in Alaska. That piece gave me hope that, in spite of extremely challenging circumstances, there is always hope, and always the possibility of an immensely rewarding outcome
birthed out of the hardships. I was going to say that the the feeling I have of our country being held hostage by one individual of dubious intent feels like a wilderness of sorts. However, this wilderness lacks the magnificence and grandeur that the wilderness our earth provides. so I’m going to retract that comparison. Perhaps it’s truer to call this the darkness of uncertainty which also carries the possibility and the potential for the triumph of goodness and justice born from the dread of tyranny?

*https://www.themarginalian.org/2022/02/15/rockwell-kent-wilderness/

No comments:

Post a Comment