Thursday, February 18, 2021

Be Willing to Stand Out

 This quote has been on my radar for a few days.  Yesterday I was confronted with the tension of the conflict inside of me about it. 

Case in point:  I've been using cardboard boxes as mulch and weed block around the yard and in the garden for a few months.  Ideally, it would be hidden by a layer of leaves but over the winter, the cardboard is on full display.  Not as pretty as I would like but I've endured it due to its usefulness...(function over form).  A workman came yesterday to tend to an issue we were having and asked what all the cardboard was for.  (I didn't consider it any of his business).  My partner told him I used it for mulch.  "There sure is alot of it", was his reply.  

Hearing about this exchange immediately sent me into my automatic, programmed response of wanting to go clean up all the cardboard due to the "disapproval" (of a stranger! ) I've been wrestling with this since it happened.  I mentally took myself by the shoulders, looked myself in the metaphorical eye and said, "are you going to let someone else dictate how you live your life?" 

So, like the quote says, I'm practicing living my fullest life regardless of what anyone might say or think. I'm learning to live into a conversation where there are those who question and criticize me and staying true to myself in spite of it.  It's cardboard for pity sake!  But it sure does make for good practice material.  

kastilwell

Note: Image by Gilbert Stuart


No comments:

Post a Comment