Friday, April 26, 2024

What Happens If Joy

"what if joy is what emerges from how we care for each other
through pain, suffering and sorrow?"

As much as I want to embrace this wholeheartedly,
I find myself with some questions.
Some of us are born into roles of caretaking others.

How do we care for ourselves in the midst 
of our own pain, suffering and sorrow?
How many of us withdraw or numb down
so as not to inflict our burdens unto others?

How many of us spend our time attending to,
trying to anyway, the pain, suffering and sorrow
of others at the expense of our own wellbeing? 
In my experience, it can be overwhelming.

The thought of joy emerging from caring for others is enticing
yet I feel a sense of caution 
being exquisitely familiar with the influence of guilt;
and my experience of  how the easily
the scale can get tipped off balance. 

I can't help but wonder if this is a gender role issue 
yet I know guilt does not differentiate.

It seems to me an extremely mindful practice is needed
to navigate this territory at the borders of our own wellbeing
and the wellbeing of those within our orbit.

I love the idea of this and marvel at those
who are able to care for others with grace and generosity.
I deeply appreciate their presence among us.

Namaste'














No comments:

Post a Comment