Tuesday, November 21, 2023

We Think We Tell Stories

This makes me think of all the stories I heard as a child;
fairy tales and bible stories for starters.
As I got older, saint's stories filled my head.
Juxtapose those with the "bodice rippers" that came later.
Looking back, it strikes me how they contributed to forming me.
How deftly and deeply I was programmed with other's values and beliefs.
Many values and beliefs that repel me now.  

It's helpful now to exercise the right to retell the tales.
Or at least to question their agenda.
Gone With The Wind is a good example.
Caught up in the romance of Scarlett, Ashley and Rhett,
I never questioned the setting...the world they lived in.

This is the wonder of aging.  Eyesight might diminish, but mindsight gets clearer.
It's also the wonder of learning, of questioning, of listening to your intuition.

If you're fortunate, you realize you have the power
to write your own stories.  
You can create them from scratch or 
you can rewrite the ones who've been telling you.
Namaste'


No comments:

Post a Comment