Friday, January 5, 2024

For Those Who Accepted Non-Violence

d
Powerful words from an icon of fairness.

"the desire to redeem the souls of our brothers and sisters who were beguiled
by the illusion of superiority

I'm uncomfortable with his term "redeeming souls".  
Perhaps if he had said, the desire to "expand their perspective"?
I would also use limited beliefs instead of false gods but who am I to edit John Lewis?
The spirit of his words is evident and I'm in complete agreement with him on this.
The "illusion of superiority" is the key factor in the current divisive climate.
Where I find myself wincing is when I recognize how easily I don the illusion
when considering those I have relegated to the "other" side.
I am chagrined to recognize this "illusion of superiority" in myself.  

How to vehemently disagree without adopting a superior stance?
How to develop mutual respect while trying to understand an opponents viewpoint
when I know in my deepest core they are deadly wrong?

This is where I stand in awe of the work of Braver Angels
and others who are working to promote understanding and overcome division.

"It will not be over until we talk Colum McCann, Apeirogon

We are in this together and there's serious work to do 
starting with ourselves and working outward!! 
Namaste'







 

No comments:

Post a Comment